Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

The View.....


I just had to do one more post on Autumn! In this part of the country, or anywhere with deciduous trees, it really is a time of absolute beauty. I've often thought of the famous quote ~"Autumn is a second spring where every leaf is a flower." ~Albert Camus
Right now our part of the World is in full bloom! I am not a great photographer and my camera is a simple point and shoot, with limitations of it's own. I'm smiling, but I did wish that I had Jayme's to do a better job....I have used it on occasion and oh, is it fun!


These were taken at the Scenic Overlook on Bon Air Mountain in White County. You can really see forever up there. Places like this are hard to find. The trees just get in your way and you have to get above them.
I have often thought of Conrad Richter's book The Trees since we've been here.




I can't imagine what it must have been like to pioneer this part of the country. Tim has made the remark before that if all the people moved out, the trees would grow up and cover it all. You'd hardly know there were ever humans here. It's all the rain we get....parts of the Southern Appalachians are considered a temperate rain forest, if they receive more than 100 inches of rain per year.  Highland Nature Center











Behind the parking area at the Scenic Overlook is a large  rock cliff....while I was busy taking pictures along with the others who were stopping Tim was thinking....."the view from up there would really be better..."











...and that is where we went. I never would have thought of going up there. It took a bit of effort to get there, but oh so worth it. Although most people don't climb up there to get the view, some do. We did. All the pictures here today were taken from there. It's all flat on top and some nice southern Pines are growing....and what a view!





You can really SEE up there. 






We soaked in the view for a long time but, eventually we had to climb back down. (It really isn't as bad, as it looks.)  Tim was there and he'd never suggest something he didn't think we could accomplish. He's just more adventurous than I am! Keeps life from getting boring.


Just look at all that color! 


7 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh Beth these are so beautiful.... looks like you guys had a wonderful day together!! I love that you climbed up on the cliff ;) The view is breath taking indeed!! You have such a larger variety of color than we do, and I love the quote about Fall being a second spring...that is perfect!!

Kathleen said...

Thanks for posting them...we really enjoyed them :)

Beth said...

Thanks, we had a great day just watching the view. Won't be around too much longer I'm noticing trees with no leaves more and more. You have to enjoy it while it lasts.

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Stunning photos! I love the colors of autumn and your part of the country is beautiful. Good for you for climbing that rock. I so would have loved to do that! I stopped by from the OBN!

Linda W. said...

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog and for signing on to be a follower! I love your photos of the autumn colors. Looks like you live in a beautiful place.

Anonymous said...

That first picture is amazing. The colors POP!

Beth said...

Thank you James! That was really just a great day! The kind you wish you could do again.