Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

The Roaring River

Up the road from our house is a place called The  Roaring River. It was pretty dry. We've gotten a lot of rain since we were there. Flash flood warnings even. So, I'll bet the Roaring River is once again 'roaring.' Up at the top of the falls where the old mill used to be you could walk across the dry river bed. I did, just so I could climb up the rocks and have my pic taken. No, I don't approve of the "modern art" painted on the  cliffs, but it was already there......nice message anyway.


This is also part of the old mill. You have to hike down the river to see this. It's not up by the falls, where people usually go. We went swimming there once with Wes and Jayme. Normally, you would just hike along side of the river, but my "sherpa" (trail guide) decided we needed to climb straight up the side of the mountain to see if we could get to the top of the cliffs that border this river.
                                                 It can be done. We did it.

At the top is the nicest meadow. (cow pasture, devoid of cows at this time.)



I found a much less steep mountain 'trail' to get back to the river and we ended up at the swimming hole.It's down river from the main falls (about 1/2 mile). There was actually enough water there to go swimming and I did some waist deep wading in order to get this picture.


We were both wearing water shoes, just in case we decided to go swimming. I don't know as we should be. They do work well  for walking shoes. There is a lot of traction to them. I think some would disapprove of using them for hiking shoes. No support, not enough protection. They are probably right on the protection part.  But....I know that I've been walking a lot of miles in them and my feet and ankles seem to be getting stronger and more supportive of themselves. They are very flexible as minimilist footwear should be. The idea being to make your feet, ankles, tendons and muscles stronger. I wouldn't recommend using them for long stretches, if you aren't conditioned for it. Good article about that here. Adventure in Progress  These are just water shoes. But for now they are doing the job. Although I am having some serious coveting issues over these or these.  I'd like to get Tim this pair. Ok, enough free advertisement! Just kidding.... I do think they would wear better than the water shoes and offer a tad more support and protection without weakening your foot, and ankles. Just my opinion....I can't say from experience.



 Tim had thought about getting in, but decided he didn't relish the thought of walking back in sloshing shoes, besides he had a better idea.....  I'm thinking, "the river bed is almost dry we could walk back most of the way in the dry bed......Tim's thinking was, "I need to figure out how this mill worked and straight back up that hillside is the most interesting part of it." 



and that is where we went.....It was steeper than the first hillside! He still is puzzled by how it all worked. At one time it must have been quite the operation.



He found a much less strenuous way out.....more round about, but that is what we were there for. To see the countryside, breathe the fresh clean air and get moving!


The end to a perfect day! Rocking sweet babies and listening to the rain.
Jessica (our daughter) came visiting with her not quite two week old baby girl! (Aurora Lilly)

8 comments:

Leat said...

I LOVE hiking nature trails like that. Just Beautiful. What a sweet baby girl! Congratulations!

Beth said...

Thanks! Yes, she's about the sweetest thing ever. I really enjoyed your blog posts about your camping trip to CO. What a great thing you're doing for your family! Memories, memories!

Steven said...

I love old ruins like those...they seem so mysterious. And I dont know how you hike in those shoes...I have done it a few times on multi day paddle trips and it just kills my feet. Thanks for sharing!

Beth said...

Tim loves them too. He always is trying to imagine how they worked. I need to see if I can look this old mill up online and find more out about it. It was a pretty big operation once.
Yes they would hurt your feet if you aren't used to them. Depending on the shoes we wear (or don't wear) you use different muscles. So when you switch to minimilist footwear you feel all those muscles that have been unused.
It's not for everybody. I do it because it really helped my achilles tendon. I was wearing shoes with a slight heal that came up around your ankle to support. I just kept getting worse and worse. I limped all the time. I thought it was just the way it was going to be.
I read up on this and started wearing the water shoes outside and going barefoot indoors. The improvement began right away. I'm grateful, it worked for me! I hardly feel my achilles anymore. Occasionally in the morning before I stretch out. Or when I sit a long while without moving. I'm afraid to wear hiking boots....don't want that pain to come back. Just my story....

Rayia said...

What a beautiful baby girl!

Anonymous said...

That is the perfect day and how I would love to hold a new grandbaby....sigh...Michelle

Beth said...

Well, your daughter is getting married soon....so maybe....:-)

Kathleen said...

This looks like a fun hike... Glen and I need to get out and do a bit of that this fall :) Been so hot here, wish we had a bit of your sweet rain.