Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

A changing nest

This is a baby blue bird Westin found when he was here. It was just out of the nest and could sort of fly. Jayme thought it was too old to try and care for it, that it needed to learn to fly and take care of itself. So..... we let it go. Seems a bit symbolic don't you think?


When I started this blog I had some ideas and reasons why I thought I should. Some of them are expressed well in this blog post I happened to come across. 15 reasons why I think you should blog.

 I also had some "rules", if you will, that I intend to base any writing that I may do. I think of them as the 3 P's. No politics, no one would agree with what I think anyway! No preaching, that's not my job.  Finally, not too personal, as in, anything that would hurt or expose any of my friends or family. I may talk about them, but not in a way that would ever cause embarrassment or reveal information they wouldn't want known. So you won't find anything to gossip about here. Sorry..... ;-)

I love to write and writing just does something for me.....I can't explain it, but, it does. Also, as was mentioned in the link I gave, I think keeping a public journal or diary (a blog) helps you stay on track. It helps you accomplish new goals in life. I have a lot of new things I want to do. I have spent my life raising my children. They were my life. I didn't "do" anything else. Now they are busy living their lives. I am part of that, but, it is their life, their turn for this season. That is a good thing! I am happy for them. But.....my life is not over, far from it! I guess it's time for me to do things I intentionally chose to put off while I was focusing on them.

 Personally, I am enjoying quite a few blogs at this time. It's like reading a letter about someone's life and what they are doing. None of them, that I really like, are overly personal. Just like in a letter home (olden days) they tell about the news, and interesting things they are doing. Friends and family are (usually) more than glad to hear and may even, on occasion, learn something or be able to offer a bit of advice and encouragement. Plus, with today's technology you can use your photos and add links of interest. You can really spruce it up....it's fun.

Now you know..... why I'm writing in this blog. I have a lot of new goals in life, I'll probably write about them.....when I get them all sorted out! Two of my kids are always making plans and goals to reach.....wonder where they got that from?!

 ....and just so you know.... I don't really like the term "empty nest". It is not empty! My kids call and visit a lot. Tim and I are still here and we are actually busier than we've been in a while. Making new plans and changing the way we do things. There is a bit of freedom in the air, that I hadn't expected to actually enjoy. I never felt trapped being a full time mom. It was my choice. But now, with my "changing nest" I find it's not so bad after all.

* edited to add.....if you are not writing in a blog this is not a recruitment for you to do so. Everyone's life and desires are different. I was just explaining why I felt the need to.

After I wrote this post I found a very helpful and interesting blog. It would seem Jayme's instincts were right and the baby bird needed to be let go. It's parents were probably still around caring for it. They let it go in the same place it was found. Does that baby bird need rescued?
nature-notes2This is my nature notes post. Click on the picture to see how you can do one also. Very informative Nature Blog!

6 comments:

Rayia said...

I really like the way you call it a "changing nest". Many blessings on this new chapter of your life. I hope you are able to write often, I understand the feeling of joy and comfort it brings!

Beth said...

After I wrote this I found a blog about nature that explains when you should try and take care of a baby bird and when you should let it go. I'll add that link here as well as edit the blog post. It seems Jayme's instincts were right....and we let it go right in the same area we found it. So it's a very good possibility it's parents were still around caring for it. http://ramblingwoods.com/does-that-baby-bird-need-to-be-rescued/

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth....thank you so much for adding your post and I was very interested in your reasons for blogging and your philosophy about it. It said a lot about you in just one post...

I am glad if anything I have posted was of help. My friend Mary Anna had given me much information and inspiration and she said that I should always pass it forward.

It's hard to know what the right thing to do with a baby bird. Watching it to see if the parents come is one way if you have the time. It takes time to learn to fly and they are very vulnerable at that time...what a cute baby... Michelle...western NY state..

Beth said...

Thanks Michelle,
I hope my post was about nature enough. I just found the baby bird to be symbolic of this point in my life.
After reading about when you should rescue a baby bird I found it even more symbolic. As parents we are often still around from a distance. Helping out as they "learn to fly."

Kathleen said...

Hi Beth,
I Love this post!! You have such a gift for writing....So loved your baby bird story, as I sit here crying, it was just what I needed!! I think I shall steal the "changing nest" for myself, like that so much better then "empty nest" :) Love you my dear sister and miss you much! xxxHUGSxxx

Beth said...

Kathleen,
I was thinking about you and Starla when I wrote. Today Brian got married. I know that he hasn't been home for a while anyway. But marriage just seems like more....if you know what I mean. love you too!