Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

I'm walking again!


So I began one of my many new goals this week. Get back to walking at least a mile every day. I do it first thing in the morning. 5:30 to be exact. It takes a little less than 30 min. The above is what I see as I'm going. The other morning in this same field was a deer. The fog was heavier that morning and he stood there almost invisible to me. I tried to walk as quietly as I could. He must have thought I didn't see him as he let me get very close...... then, with a loud snort, twist of his body and flip of his tail, he bounded off over the hill. It was great.....of course, no camera. I won't be making that mistake again.

It's lovely here this time of day. We are finally back to the cool morning air. This summer has been hot! I'm glad it's finally cooling off. It's warm during the day but at night we get so nice and crispy cool. I need my hoodie to stay warm starting out. I am just walking fast for now. Someday it is my goal to pick up the speed and actually run it! I can't now, years ago I injured my achilles tendon and now it gives me fits. I'm working on that, hoping to heal it enough to run.

I'm doing a couple of things toward that end. The first thing I did was change my style of shoes. I began to wear minimilist type shoes. You can read about that here. Minimilist footwear  The idea being that padded shoes and arch supports are not necessary and in fact could be part of the problem for runners. It's quite controversial. It's perfectly okay with me if you like your running shoes. For me, after researching this issue it just made sense to me and I gave it a try. I couldn't afford the high dollar type shoes but, very flat soled sandals and some types of water shoes are basically the same thing. The sandals are great in the summer but, well, water shoes just sort of look, "unfashionable" to say the least. I wear them when I walk....who's looking at my feet then anyway?!

The footwear change made an immediate difference. Very noticeable, very soon! According to research the shoes you wear could be causing some sports injuries. It really is worth looking into. Tim also has injured his knee seriously several times and has begun to wear this type footwear when we hike or when he's at home. Our son bought some of those Five Finger Vibrams on clearance and they didn't fit. He brought them over to Tim and they were a  perfect fit!....well.....he looks sort of different.....but  if they'll help. Does this make us strange?!  My vanity will not allow me to wear them. Jayme loves them and would wear them too. In fact, she says she came up with the idea, when she was a kid and was so mad the first time she saw someone wearing them. lol!

They do make minimalist footwear that really just looks like regular running shoes. Still expensive however. But if anyone is interested you can see that here. I like this pair. But the price!.....I just can't bring myself to spend that, maybe I should but, I do wish minimilist footwear would come down in price. After all, doesn't less go into it them than the cheaper running shoes?  (maybe not) It is my only problem with the movement towards a more natural type shoe. I just can't afford those prices....

When you think about it, it really is nothing new. For 1000's of years men have worn minimal footwear and could probably run better and further than we do in these times. Examples: Sandals during bible times, Egyptian types, Roman sandals, Native American moccasins and even Eskimo Mukluks all fit with minimilist shoes. In fact, what helped to start the movement were the Tarahumara People known for their long distance running. They were running is excess of 100 miles at a stretch in these!

Okay, now that you've heard more than you probably wanted to about another of my weird notions, I'll just step down off my soap box. Lol, it has helped me and if it could help someone else I'd be so happy. I really would like to thank a couple of my facebook friends who were the inspiration for me researching it anyway. But, they are kind of shy so I'll just thank K. & S. (well, I don't know about shy, I just don't have permission to use real names).  Both, are my age (or close) and are in good shape and spend a regular amount of time running, wearing those toe shoes I am too vain to wear! :)

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

You are inspiring me Beth, I need to get back to walking. So that I can keep up with Glen this fall during hunting season :) I didn't even realize about the footwear, not sure I like the toe shoes, can't stand things between my toes! But some of the others look good... might have to try them :)

Beth said...

Actually, I can't stand it either. Hate flip flops. Which, by the way are a very cheap alternative to this type footwear, if you like them.
If I've given you inspiration it is second hand. I have been inspired by some friends. Just passin' it along. :) At our age we need to try and exercise more....we just do.

Kathleen said...

Wish we could walk together.... But I guess we will just have to encourage each other via the Internet :-) I've got some simple Sandles will have to try them.

Beth said...

Oh wouldn't that be fun?!! I'd love to walk with you! As long as they're flat and flexible is the main thing. Which is why water shoes work so well. It's helped me. When I first switched over my tendon was so bad I could hardly walk without limping. It is much better now.

Anonymous said...

I had not heard of that..something else for me to look into...Michelle