Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Ready for fall and a few changes


I am so ready for the cooler temperatures of fall to get here. We actually decided to postpone our camping trip til next weekend as it may be cooler by then. We'll avoid the crowds of this weekend also. As long as, too many other people aren't thinking the same thing. You know what they say about great minds.....

I made a few changes to the blog.....I was getting obsessed about it! I'm not a good designer and I wanted something simpler with not so much color in it. I think it's easier to read that way. Let me know if I improved it or messed it up. Also, I added a "book store". Just some of our favorites and some we'd like to read. The field guides for this area Wildflowers of the Tennessee, Ohio Valleys and the southern Appalachians, and Medicinal Plants and herbs (central and eastern) I completely recommend! The Wildflowers being my personal favorite. Both are good though. I wouldn't want to be without either. For those of you in the west Petersons also has one for your area. The other one I wouldn't be without is Nature's Garden.

Tim has read most of the Everest books listed and recommends them. He is a fan of Everest mountain climbing. The Climb being his new favorite. He is finishing this book now and really feels, to understand all that happened on Everest in the 1996 disaster you need to read this. There are a lot of strong feelings about the two sides of that. Jon Krakauer wrote a book Into Thin Air that Tim thinks did not give Anatoli Boukreev the credit or respect he should have been given for saving so many lives.Very strong opinions on both sides of it.
All of these and more favorites are listed in our  "book store" if you click through there and buy something we'll receive a small commission. I'll be be updating it periodically. We are big readers around here!

We have decided we need to unplug this Sunday!  You can read about what that means here on Unplugged Sunday. Tim has been working 6 days a week and I have been obsessing about this blog and trying to get things in order to start building birdhouses. I hope that works out.....I'm so nervous about it. I am just desperate to make some extra money. For a variety of reasons, I'm unable to get a job outside of the home, right now. So, I'm hoping to supplement our income a bit this way. Anyway, we are both pretty stressed right now. We just need to get away at least for one day. Not sure yet where we'll go, near some water would be my guess. Summer is not giving up easy here in the south!  Next weekend.....if all goes well, the plan is overnite camping and a nice hike in the woods!! I can hardly wait.

Hope you all are having a great Labor Day weekend. Check out those exhibits for us at the Sanders County Fair! We miss those. We just haven't found a fair around here that compares.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the blog is great..it is very easy to read. The only suggestion I would make is to change the comments settings. The default is for embedded comments and for some people (like me), it's hard to leave comments. It takes a couple of trys... Change the comments setting to pop-up and it will load faster and be easier to leave a comment... Michelle

Beth said...

Thanks Michelle! I changed the setting, hope that makes it easier.

Kathleen said...

We did have a nice fair this year, the exhibits are fun to walk through, it's my favorite part about the fair :)I Love your blog Beth it is so fun to read, envious of your writing skills. By the way how do you get the blog updates and comments to come to your e-mail or can you?

Beth said...

In the right sidebar is a gadget that says follow by email. Type in your email and it should let you know when a new post comes out. Let me know what happens when you do this. I want to make sure I have it set up right. Thanks, Beth

Kathleen said...

Thanks I tryed that and got an e-mail confirming set up so I think it probably worked :)