Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Butterflies of our summer~2011


I was looking through my pictures of this summer and discovered I took a lot of butterfly pictures. I thought I'd share them with you. I just recently took a serious interest in them so I may identify them correctly and then again I may not. Feel free to comment and let me know of any mistakes I make. The above photo is of  Fritillary Butterflies on common milkweed. They are either  Regal or  Great Spangled.  I couldn't tell the difference.





The Next two are of The Eastern Tiger Swallowtail on my butterfly bush out back. I think I may try painting this one. He's posing so pretty for me.















Isn't he beautiful?! I really don't know if it's a male or female.













I don't know who this fella is. I wonder if it's a skipper.(maybe Silver Spotted Skipper) I found him interesting because the center of his eye is white. You can click on any of our pictures and they will enlarge.









Fritillary on my Blanket Flower. This is what has brought them around this year.... all the new flowers Jayme and I planted last year. If you want to attract Birds and Butterflies. Plant flowers. Here is a link that lists the kind they particularly like. Gardening to attract birds and butterflies















These are of Hummingbird Moths. We have never had these around and were blessed with an abundance of them. Such interesting creatures!
















And last but certainly not least.....a Male Monarch. He came through and hung out for a few days. I enjoyed him immensely and wished he had brought a friend or two. I don't know as time will permit but, if it does I  want to try raising some Monarch's next year. It isn't hard to do. And it doesn't need to cost much at all. You just need a steady supply of Milkweed. Here is a blog on how to do that. Raising Monarchs
Another one I follow has several blog posts with pictures of how she did it. Plus some great links at the bottom of this post. Rambling Woods


Spicebush Swallowtail on Purple Coneflower





Jayme took this one a couple of years ago, and it's just kind of special to me. I painted it on a bird house gourd even. Here is my attempt.....

I hope you have enjoyed my butterflies as much as I did this summer. I don't see as many any more, since fall is steadily creeping in. No worries, I love fall. My favorite time of year! Happy Autumn!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Simply beautiful!

Kathleen said...

These are beautiful...reminded me of Jayme and Tara when they were little, out catching butterflies, good memories!

Beth said...

Yes, I remember those days too! Tim was watching Jayme one day chasing butterflies and he looked at me and said...."I want to be a Jayme."

He works too hard. He needs more time to watch things like butterflies, birds and all those beautiful things around us. Someday soon, I hope!

Kazumi said...

Hi Beth,
I'm Kazumi. I'm dropping by from Gardens of Etsy team blog. I was finding "e-amil contact", but I couldn't find it on your profile. That's why I'm leaving my message here.

Your butterfly pictures are so beautiful!!! I'm now following your blog. I hope we can share about butterflies with each other. :)
I'm sorry you couldn't find me on FB. Please search this this time.

Kazumi Arnold, Cave City, KY

Thaks,
Kazumi

Beth said...

Kazumi,
I did find you on facebook and sent a friend request. I'd love to see your butterfly pictures also! Very beautiful, graceful creatures.

Rambling Woods said...

They are beautiful Beth...I planted a spicebush this summer and I hope the butterflies find it. I was excited to read that you want to try raising some monarchs. It seems so long since they were in that spare bedroom. You might want to join Monarch Watch's e-mail list at their website. Interesting information...Michelle

Kathleen said...

Beth, I think Tim is right I want to be a Jayme too ;~) He does work too hard hope that it can slow down for him soon...Love you both much!