Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

What we've been up to


I hope everyone is out enjoying this lovely fall weather. At least it is around here. I love the colors, the fresh cool air and oh, just everything about it. In case I haven't mentioned it, fall is my favorite time of year! Above is a photo of  uncleaned gourds Jayme brought me from South Carolina the other day. Don't they just look like Autumn? I thought they did anyway. They also sort of look like work.....they need to be cleaned, painted on, holes drilled in them and the inside cleaned out. Turning a gourd into something usable is not so easy.

The use of gourds for bird houses and cooking utensils has been around for literally thousands of years. Here is an interesting article on the history of hard shell gourds. They are fun and interesting to work with. I'm enjoying them and learning as I go along. 






This was my fall inspired gourd. Jayme swiped it from me when she was here. I'm just kidding it was her birthday gift. 













These are the four I've made so far. I really just want to use them, but the idea was to try and sell them to supplement our income just a bit. I'm not sure if birdhouses will sell or not but, we'll see....you can only try, right?!







In case you didn't notice, we now have an Etsy Shop widget in the right sidebar. We don't have much there yet but hope to add when we can. Tim also made some wooden birdhouses that I painted on. Also a very nice Red Cedar bird feeder that I really just want to fill with bird seed and put in my yard!





Indigo Bunting on Goldenrod and Chipping Sparrow on pine branches. Did you know that bird watching is good for your health?! Yep, sure is. You can read a blog post written by Taking a Walk on the Wild Side that will tell more about that.







Isn't that a lovely bird feeder? I think I should just put that right out in my front yard....Tim won't let me.....it's for sale too.....but.... it just goes with my yard. I have the spot picked out and everything! Oh well.....maybe next time.












7 comments:

Kathleen said...

I went to see your Etsy shop...very nice, can't wait to see more :) Your doing a great job!

Rayia said...

So fun!

Tim said...

Great work on the bird feeders and houses. I'm sure Tim will let you have the one if you paid him. You did cook him supper right? That should be payment enough I think. LOL.

Beth said...

Thanks guys! It is fun to do. Just wish I could get rich doing it. HA!
Tim has a double deck bird feeder going....I told him when it's finished....It. is. MINE!!
I'll take pics of birds on it and then he can make more to sell. What a great plan huh?

Anonymous said...

Glad to know I'm not the only gourd painter of this OBN family! Great blog btw!

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Wow- really nice work. You 2 are talented!

Beth said...

Thanks, and wish I could see your gourds! (shesamaniyak) Post them on your blog sometime...:)