Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Focus on life

I  write and paint in this little journal. It often helps clear things up in my mind.

I've been working through something of late. (disclaimer * the following information is meant to reflect my thoughts and no one is to think I am speaking to them or anyone else in general.)

If you read my blog you'll know that we have recently become what most people call "empty nesters". Personally, I don't like the phrase, but for clarity I'll let it go this time. This particular season in my life is not one I've relished. I loved raising my kids, it was hard at times but, I was satisfied that I was doing something worthwhile. Something lasting. Now, that is over. The house seems big and empty at times and to be honest I've been doing some hiding. Hiding from the reality of my life. I guess you could say I'm lonely and I've been putzing around the issue. Not facing it directly.

Where have I been hiding? In the land of the World Wide Web.... don't we all hide there sometimes? It's an easy place to go. Lots of information to flood our minds with. Than there is always the social media....you know, the ever popular Twitter, Facebook, My space or as one of my brother-in-laws once asked his daughter "Where did you hear that? My Face?" He was serious. Believe it or not, not everyone is "plugged in". 


Tim isn't. Imagine this, he stills reads books. You know that kind that are made of paper and you go to the library to check them out! Although we have a joint account on facebook he doesn't use it. Except to look at the pictures I show him of family (mainly his grandkids) and such. He makes a rare comment but, that's about it. I asked him once if I should take his name off the account, he in turn asked me something along the line of "Why would you do that? It represents us both doesn't it?"  To him it is simply a tool. A tool we use to stay in closer contact with family and friends through photo sharing. He doesn't really see the reality in online "friends". Although, many people have made some really great friendships that way, I can honestly see his point.
The country song You find out who your friends are comes to mind. Consider this.....When a serious problem comes around who is going to be there for you? Thirty seven comments on facebook lamenting your problems sure doesn't count for nearly as much as, that neighbor across the road, who is at your door asking" if there is anything he can do for you?" ...I see his point.


It does make a good place to hide though. You can hide from loneliness, boredom, a life you just aren't too happy with and the list goes on. Or you can use it to relive your high school years and regain your popularity. No thanks, I've been to high school and I wasn't impressed with the popularity games then either.
Now that I've totally trashed your favorite social media......It is something I don't intend to totally give up. It is a good tool! It's a lot of fun sometimes and I have some dear friends that I have met there. But, it is not a good place to hide or find your sense of self esteem at. And....let's face it, it can be a huge waste of time.

So, once again, I see his point. I'm done hiding. I'm done wasting my time. I love to journal, write, spend time with my family and God, read about herbal medicine, garden, wildcraft for herbs and we are going to find a way to get more hiking, camping and backpacking in!! These things are reality. It's our life and I don't want to waste any more time. I want to get on with it. When I finally came to this conclusion and begin to see what was really important in life....Contentment washed over me and I suddenly loved my life. Right now. Even being an "empty nester"! 



6 comments:

Plantain said...

Great post Beth!!!!

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I sort of know what you mean - my kids are still at home, but in college, so they don't really need me anymore. (much!) I'm finding that I have more time on my hands so I spend a lot of time surfing blogs, looking for something to interest me. I just started crocheting, so we'll see how that goes. It's kind of fun to have extra "me" time tho, isn't it?

Beth said...

Thank you, Plantain! What a compliment. :)

Kim,
It is a different time in life isn't it? I used to crochet, it's a great hobby. You can make lots of useful things.

Leat said...

Thanks for a wonderful post again Beth! it is just what I needed to hear today.
K

Unknown said...

Way to go :)!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This is a well written post and I understand what you're saying. I sure do miss my boys...I raised 4 sons and they are all grown. It does leave a big void. I also know that it's important to choose how to spend your time...not waste any of it! Love your journal! I've kept a journal for years...decades and want to add art to my journaling this year! I'm visiting from Kim's! Love your blog...and those photos below are awesome! ♥