Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

A little side road

The other day I took a side road I had never been on before. I had my camera and was of course looking for wildflowers (herbs). I have a wonderful new field guide that Wes and Jayme bought me this year for my birthday. link to book  Estella  loves looking at gramma's "flower book" and I love looking for them!

 I took the above photo that day and in the field, the white flowers you see are Queen Anne's Lace.  I was really just taking pictures of the lovely old barn. Tim has always loved them. Years ago, he thought we should go around and take pictures of them and make a book telling a bit of history of each barn. We never did get around to it and now we've seen several books doing just that. Whenever we do he says,"see, I told you it was a good idea!"

Self Heal also known as Heal All. You can read a little more about it on my facebook page. Prunella Vulgaris





The lovely Chicory! The roasted root is often used as a coffee substitute. Maybe someday I'll try it but, I really think it just makes a pretty roadside flower. Many of the roads in our area are lined with Chicory like you see here. A constant flash of blue in the corner of your eye. Close up view of Chicory







This was a Lilly of some kind growing in front of an old abandoned farm house (which I should have taken a picture of!) I'm sure at one time, the owner of the place had planted these in a flower bed. But time has come and gone and  they have escaped and spread themselves around the yard. Such a pretty, soft pink flower. My newest granddaughter (she is expected to arrive at the end of the month) will have Lilly for a middle name. So now when I see them, I think of her.

3 comments:

Rayia said...

That is a gorgeous lily!

Kathleen said...

I love the Barn, I remember you and Tim talking about the Barn Book....Still a good idea! You would have different barns than everyone else ;~)

Anonymous said...

I love barns and I think if only they could talk.....Michelle