Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Herbal hunting


This summer has been very warm. For a while it was dry and hot, hot,hot! Finally, after our grass actually turned brown for the first time,  the rains came back. Greening up our small part of Appalachia once again. It was a relief to me. I always feel parched and tense in dry weather. The rains have 'hydrated' me once again. They are also just starting to fill the rivers a bit too. We stopped and ate our lunch the other day at the Roaring River Park near Gainsboro, TN. Being near water and watching it's flowing motion, always soothes me. Must be that hydration thing again.

On another day we went to a different part of the river and found some Pipsissewa. I had found this last year but at the time did not know what it was. When I find an unusual looking plant or one I think I may recognize from browsing herb and plant field guides, I take a picture of it and see if I can identify it when I get home. This one, I actually put on my facebook page and some herbal friends  ID'd it for me.

Recently,  I purchased a new herb book called Mountain Medicine by Darryl Patton. It is about the life, herbal studies and remedies of Alabama herbalist Tommie Bass. I am enjoying this book, savoring it slowly, as I've waited a very long time for it. When I'm finished I'll write a review here.



Pipsissewa is one of the herbs profiled in this book. So, knowing where it grows in abundance, I went back and gathered a bit to try. It has many uses, but the one I'm wanting it for is a general Tonic. That just means an herb that helps to build you up, strengthen and restore your health.
This is actually spotted pipsissewa although I'm not sure why it would be called that. Those look like stripes to me...
Anyway, I've gathered some and have a tincture going. We shall see if I like this herb or not. I have a personal preference to try each herb singularly to see how they work for me. I'm not a big fan of herbal mixtures with a lot of different herbs. I do mix them together after I've tried them individually and know how they work for me. Others however, do fine with the mixes. It is a personal choice. I just rather like to know how each herb is acting on my system. Maybe, it's simply a curious research thing...




On our way home we stopped at the store to grab a few things for supper. In the parking lot was this perfect, but (sadly) dead eastern tiger swallowtail or is it an Appalachian Tiger Swallowtail ? I simply could not tell the difference.







I am just a beginning student of butterflies so I know very little. They are so very graceful and beautiful. You just can't help but smile when you see one flitting across the yard.

In case anyone was wondering I placed it on magazine cover that was picturing human cells. The coloring in the background seems to make the butterfly stand out more.
It was the latest copy of Acts and Facts from the Institute of Creation Research. You can get a free subscribtion and it is an interesting and informative magazine.




This is my favorite treasure I've found this summer. Mountain Mint! I'm sure it has always been here but this is the first year I recognized it, for what it was. I spotted it driving to work one day. I was driving and Tim was reading. -He possesses that unique ability to read in a moving vehicle, while I most definitely do not.-  He gets a bit worried when I start spotting herbs or birds while driving, however.
I was pretty excited when I drove by, as I was sure this was what I had seen. We stopped, turned around and went back. Tim, quickly jumped out and picked me a bit.  I could instantly tell by the smell that yes, I had found mountain mint. The next day I went out back for a walk in our woods and there it was. Just as if to say, "It's about time you found me."
This is an herb which is also profiled in the book Mountain Medicine. It is used for coughs, colds, sinusitis, bronchitis and even asthma. When you smell it you can easily understand why. It smells just like Vicks Mentholatum salve. It can be used as an herbal steam or taken internally. Just boil some leaves, turn the heat off, hold a towel over your head and the still steaming pot and  breath in deeply. (be careful not to get too close or the steam could burn you) You should start to feel your head clear right away. You could also make a cup of tea, drink it while wrapped up in a warm blanket and this should induce a sweat.
Or, you could just drink the tea. I haven't tasted it yet, but all of the mint family, of which this is a part, taste wonderful with plenty of fresh honey! My hunch is this will be strong flavored. I am anxious to try this next cold season. -Not anxious to catch a cold!- But, I'm always ready for the cure.



~ "I always did believe that God never did make no mistakes. He never made anything He didn't make a remedy for. The Lord's put something out there if we would only get out there and hunt it." ~ Tommie Bass

                           (the book Mountain Medicine was written about his life.)




2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Sounds like you are enjoying your book, and finding some new herbal treasures :) Enjoy both!!

Plantain said...

Great finds!