Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Another try at religious persecution


This morning I just want to write a quick post about something that I think we all should think about. Everyone. I'm talking about Global Religious Persecution. I wrote a post about this a while back and took it down. I felt my disappointment in people was showing through in bitterness, for the seeming lack of compassion and empathy. I apologize to anyone who may have read that and felt my irritation. I realize, that for some, this subject may simply be too much. I understand the frustration of feeling there is so little we can do. We can pray. Prayer does make a difference.  There are also organizations that are fully committed to helping the suffering and working toward solutions. They are almost exclusively run on donations. I'll list a few a the end of this post. For my part, I feel my job is simply to remember them....it would seem, that is what I can do at this point in my life. So, I write and I remember.

Let me explain what I'm talking about. In America we have complete freedom of religion. We are allowed to worship as we so feel convicted. But, did you know that in over 70% of the world that is not the case? Most of the persecution towards religion involves Christians. Christianity is the most persecuted religious group in the world at this time. There have been more Christians killed for their faith in the last 100 years, than in all the centuries before combined.

In Nigeria, on July 7th of this year nearly 100 members of the Church of Christ were killed by an extremist Islamic group known as Boko Haram. This has been going on for over a decade. Some estimates leave the total number of Christians killed there at well over 20,000. This is Genocide.

It makes me wonder where everyone is? By this I mean, those who would indignantly say they would never have stood by while Jewish men and women were loaded into train cars, bound for the death camps of Nazi Germany. Where are those indignant people now?  It makes me wonder if maybe we might have been among those looking the other way, after all.
It seems we often judge others, such as the German citizens of that evil era, yet we find ourselves in a similar place, doing a similar thing. For myself, I see little difference between the atrocities of that day and the global persecution  of Christians...... Life is precious and we are all one blood, one race....sons of Adam, Children of God.


So this morning, I ask you to remember. Start there. Just remember them.

                                                 ~Silence isn't golden, it's deadly~



Open Doors USA
Persecuted Church
Secret Believers
world watch list 2012


3 comments:

Elaine L. Bridge said...

Hi, Beth! It's nice to meet you! Thanks for visiting and following my blog! Yours is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations on your blogoversary (!!!) and keep up the great work!

I went to school for a degree in forestry and so have always been a fan of nature, as well. I spent one summer working for the Forest Service in your neck of the woods, Whitefish, Montana!!! I assume you know where that is, on the fringes of Glacier National Park, one of the most beautiful places on earth! Now I'm living much farther east, as well, but still surrounded by trees, lol!

I'm going to hit the "follow" button now, so I will be seeing you again soon! Thanks again.
Elaine

Beth said...

Elaine,
I do know where Whitefish is. I was born there! Small world isn't it?

Thank you for following my blog. I enjoyed reading yours yesterday when I found it.

Beth

Kathleen said...

Good place to start....remembering.