Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My lovely Sage


I love herb gardening. Although I don't have nearly all the herbs I'd like, I have gotten a good start. I enjoy taking pictures of them at various stages. This was last winter. Sage is a hardy perennial, as you can see freezing temperatures and snow hardly change it's appearance. Although, it's flavor is not as strong as when it's growing heartily in the summer.  -It even flowers. Did you know that? I didn't. Not until I grew it for myself.-

Sage is medicinal as well as culinary. A common cupboard spice, yet it also serves well in Herbal medicine. It is associated with longevity and memory. It can also be used as a hair rinse and it is reputed to restore graying hair to it's natural color. Not as a dye per se, it simply restores it to it's original shade.

I'm not an Herbalist, so I won't try to list all of it's constituents, characters and actions. There are many wonderful blogs and books out there doing a great job of that. I am just a lover of the Gift of Herbs - Service to mankind-  given by a Loving Creator.

I love taking pictures of them, growing them, talking about them and using them in any way I can. I cook with them,  make medicine, tea, and some, I just love the aroma of. I study  and read all I can find.  -so many herb books, so little time-  I am always on the look out when I'm out in the woods. Looking for that wild herb to identify and get to know more about but, most of all I wish I knew more....

I guess, this might be why I love this part of the Country so much...the plants! Arthur Stupka, the first naturalist to the Smokey Mountains, once said, "Plants, flowers, and trees are to the Smokies what the grand granite domes are to Yosemite and ancient geysers are to Yellowstone."

Herbs, wildflowers, trees or just plants in general, bring me joy and peace. Not sure why, I suppose it is my passion and what we love tends to do that for us. But, somehow I think its more. I think knowing the God of the Universe created them, with their use in mind for us and this, shows His great compassion toward our frailties. When ever I use herbs, for their flavor, medicinal use or simple glorious beauty....I try to remember to thank Him.

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead~


2 comments:

Kerri Brooks said...

Great post Beth!

Beth said...

Thanks Kerri. I was tired and lacking sleep when I wrote this. So now I'm noticing how poorly I worded a couple sentences. I don't know whether to correct them or chalk it up to "never write when exhausted." Oh well, lesson learned.

I do love my perennial plants though. I really enjoy watching how they change from season to season. Great way to learn about Botany.