Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Beauty in this world is just a glimpse...



 Beauty and nature inspire me in such a special way. It’s hard to explain why. Why does it seem to inspire so many of us? Perhaps C. S. Lewis was right. It is a glimpse into what, will be, one day. I'll let him speak for himself....


~ “We do not want merely to see beauty, though, God knows, even that is bounty enough. We want something else which can hardly be put into words — to be united with the beauty we see, to pass into it, to receive it into ourselves, to bathe in it, to become part of it..... That is why the poets tell us such lovely falsehoods. They talk as if the west wind could really sweep into a human soul; but it can’t. They tell us that “beauty born of murmuring sound” will pass into human face; but it won’t. Or not yet.
For if we take the imagery of Scripture seriously, if we believe that God will one day give us the Morning Star and cause us to put on the splendour of the sun, then we may surmise that both the ancient myths and the modern poetry, so false as history, may be very near the truth as prophecy. At present we are on the outside of the world, the wrong side of the door. We discern the freshness and purity of morning, but they do not make us fresh and pure. We cannot mingle with the splendours we see. But all the leaves of the New Testament are rustling with the rumour that it will not always be so. Some day, God willing, we shall get in.” ~ C. S. Lewis
I have written about how C. S. Lewis felt about beauty before and thought I should write it here. Beauty and nature affect me in such a wonderful way and I know I am not alone. 
It is the beauty, that draws me back to places like this time and time again. What am I seeking? A glimpse into what will someday be? I think so. I also find myself refreshed, with the clutter and stress of daily living fading into the background.
Tim and I sat on the sandy beach above and watched the river in front of us flow by one day. It was shady and quiet. We hardly said a word. We just let the beauty of it all speak words of silence. 
I guess some would call this, a place of retreat. A place where their hearts can be still and just listen. We all need those moments. Jesus too, went to a quiet places to pray. 

Not everyone can get away to a place like this at any given time. Sometimes, we have to bring the beauty to where we are. We can, with the use of a birdfeeder bring beauty to just outside our window. Bird beauty is two fold, the sight, as well as, the sounds of nature, come to within the reach of just about anyone who would want to give it a try.

We can also bring a bit of nature into our homes with the use of flowering plants or useful medicinal and culinary herbs.  They will freshen the air and add some greenery to the picture.  I have seen beautiful urban rooftop gardens that could have the same affect as this place had for us. Fountains trickle, lush green leaves and bright flowers make it a place of retreat for those who choose to seek it.
I am really lacking in bird photographs, I find birds harder to capture than the butterflies. I can quietly, slowly, creep up close, without disturbing the 'flutterbys'. - if I'm careful-
 With birds, a good 'zoom-in' lens is really needed.  -I don't have that type of camera, right now.-  I do want to try more, with what I have though. I'd love to be able to capture their beauty on film.  But really, the butterflies are also a piece of nature that can be brought close to home. With the right flowers they also can be lured in close to watch and enjoy their graceful elegance. 
Painted Lady butterfly on Purple Coneflower


No comments: