Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Peaceful Place


  

At around 5:30 ish Saturday morning I set out for my morning walk. I don't do this every day, but I should! It's good for us in so many ways.
 It's still a bit dark out, but as I walk it lightens. The air is damp and humid, the birds are singing, it smells fresh and cool. I think I've described this before, it's just such a perfect time of day. It is... my Peaceful Place.

We all need a peaceful place to go to when life is hard to understand. I know I do.
God has decided He ought to gift me an extra dose of empathy and mercy.... In our world, that can make for some dark moments. Moments, I think when others don't understand me. I sometimes wonder if I don't actually scare people with the intensity of what I feel. I just simply cannot look at evil and injustice without feeling something should be done. I really believe that we are the hands and feet of God and we have a job to do. I know that I'm not alone in this way of thinking, it just feels like it at times. When I feel frustrated and hurt for the victims, this is where I go to tell God about it. -As if He didn't already know.- Ah, but He listens and I am often inspired with thoughts and words to write. I'm encouraged once again, that indeed one person can make a difference, in their small circle, if nothing else.


Later, I decided to go see what was happening in my Woods behind us.- A lot of flora and fauna is packed into that tiny forest.-
 This is Poke. You'd never know such a pretty berry could be so controversial. Old Timers of the Appalachians have used this plant with discretion for many decades. It is more recently, that it has gotten a bit of a bad name. The early spring greens can be made into Poke Salat. They need to be prepared properly of course. 
 In fact at one time you could even buy them canned from Allen's canning company. The berries were used to make jelly, wine and of course dye. They will stain your hands very quickly and are also known as Ink Berry. The seeds are the poisonous part, the berries were juiced and used in that manner. It is good herb for cleansing your lymph glands.  
Caution! This can be a poisonous plant and I wouldn't recommend using it unless you have done your research. Here are two links for anyone so interested. Southern Herbalist Poke Salad  and  Green Deane's Poke Weed








This is winged sumac. I have at least two species of Sumac growing in my small forest. This is my favorite simply because of the way it has "wings". Such an interesting plant. 
They are simply gorgeous in the fall and turn the most beautiful red color.

Birds love Sumac thickets and I have a very nice one growing just the other side of my backyard fence. So it works out perfectly in my quest for feathered visitors.

I need to study it's medicinal value as I do believe it is used in herbal medicine. I am just not familiar with it.



It's been a little over a year since we decided to just let the field go. At that time our daughter had married and taken her horse Snoopy with her. We knew we couldn't keep up with the field in mowing, so Tim said "let it go". I was so worried about it getting out of hand, but in the end I'm so glad God did not answer my prayer to find a way to mow it. The birds absolutely love it. I have more birds in my backyard than ever before




I also discovered this Maple tree while I was back there.It is taller than me by a good two feet. In just over a year! Possibly longer, if Snoopy had by some chance, left it alone while he was grazing there. Trees that are naturally planted in the wild can grow amazingly fast. I need to see if I can ID which kind it is. It will grow up and add to the natural privacy fence. I am getting a nice lesson in how reforestation works in the Appalachians. 
Who needs Naturalist classes anyway, with such a great classroom in your backyard?  Although, I must admit, I would so enjoy them. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Field guides, websites, internet friends, books and more books. Good excuse to read more!



Now, this is back in my 'Old Growth Woods'. While, the field  is still a tangled web of Sumac, Tree of Heaven,  Blackberry brambles, Elderberries, Passionflower and much more, in this part, the undergrowth is very minimal. The sun just barely reaches down through the dense canopy of huge branching trees, it is cool and shady. I hear the sounds of many of my birds. In fact, a few were scolding me for entering their domain....ah, but it's mine too. We share.

 As I finally wandered back to the house, all was right with the world again. I had not made anything better, but I knew I would keep trying, in my small way. I would still feel grief and even be indignant, over the unfairness in life and for the terrible atrocities that I have finally decided to stop ignoring. I would still keep talking about it.

For that moment however, God had given me a kind of peace. Mostly, I watched and listened to the sounds of nature. In them, He spoke of a garden long ago. A gift to mankind. This is still our gift, if only a fraction of what he wanted us to have. No... what He wants us to have. Nature speaks of it's Creator, it speaks of a future and it speaks of hope. If we'll listen.

~The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy, is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be..." -Anne Frank 1929-1945 from her diary

4 comments:

Leat said...

I just love your posts Beth!

Beth said...

Thank you, Leat! I just like writing it's how I blow off steam. :) I'm glad you enjoy them.

Kathleen said...

I too love your posts, God gave you a compassionate heart and a gift to write! Remember you story about the Man on the beach with the starfish...you are making a difference!! Love you much!

Kathleen said...

P.S. and return often to your peaceful spot for refreshment!You need that too :)