Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Naturalist?



I feel the need to define what that is. I guess maybe I should actually call it by another name. At one time this was the definition. Student of plants and animals Okay that sounds about right. I just love the idea of knowing how Nature works. I want to know the name of that plant, bird or even what insect in making that noise at night? I just want answers.
But, I felt the need to explain that the above definition is what I mean when I say naturalist. Today's modern definition means something different.
nat·u·ral·ist 
n.
1. One versed in natural history, especially in zoology or botany.
2. One who believes in and follows the tenets of naturalism.



    nat·u·ral·ism
    noun
    1. (in art and literature) A style and theory of representation based on the accurate depiction of detail
      • A philosophical viewpoint according to which everything arises from natural properties and causes, and supernatural or spiritual explanations are excluded or discounted (italics mine)
        • (in moral philosophy) The theory that ethical statements can be derived from nonethical ones


      So then, by that definition I would not qualify as someone interested in Naturalism. I believe in a literal interpretation of the Creation of the Earth, as recorded in Genesis. I am a student of Creationism. I have a long way to go to call myself anything besides a student. Really, do any of us ever get much past that? There is always something new to learn.

      Maybe, I should come up with a new name....But, I'm just a bit stubborn about the idea that one can indeed be a student of plants and animals and believe in a Divine Creator! In our age there is much Scientific evidence to back up the idea of a Creator as described in the Bible. I find it almost insulting that I can't be considered a Naturalist unless I believe in natural history, according to the modern theory of evolution.

      On occasion, in future blog posts, I hope to write about the things I'm learning. I love sharing information. I have met some of the most intelligent and interesting people on the Internet that have helped to teach me much about Herbal Medicine. I could never have hoped to learn even half, of what I have in the last couple of years, if people had not generously shared information. So, I'll be trying to return the favor. Hopefully we can learn together. This blog helps keep me on track. I suppose similar to the way a journal does. The only difference is the interaction. I will share links, books, magazines or whatever else you might be interested in. And I have added a new label 'Creationism'.



      Besides, I really just have a need to write. I am always writing in my mind, as I go about my day. I need an outlet for that or I may begin talking to myself to get it out...

      "Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God."

      ~George Washington Carver - scientist, botanist, educator, inventor and former slave

      No comments: